5 Book-to-Film Adaptations That You Should Watch Right Now
Do you need some good, binge worthy bookish adaptations to get you through quarantine? Have no fear. I (Sara) have a list of 5 of my favorite (and soon to be favorite) adaptations to check out.
1. To All the Boys I've Loved Before and To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You -- You know I had to reference the Netflix adaptations of Jenny Han's young adult romance series. Not only are these movies perfectly cast, but the cinematography is on point and the story is just so darn sweet. If you need something light and airy, but with a lot of heart, check this out immediately. (Only on Netflix)
2. The Fault in Our Stars - Alert: only watch this one if you need a good cathartic cry. It is great, but it is a tear jerker. (Seriously. I had a good long cry (sob) after this one.) The Fault in Our Stars is an adaptation of John Green's book by the same name. This is the story of Hazel, a girl with cancer, who meets a boy Augustus, a boy in remission, at a cancer support group. It is a beautiful story. But there will be tears. Just like in Green's book, the movie captures young adults and their struggles astutely. (Available to rent on Amazon (linked), YouTube, Vudu, Google Play, and iTunes from $3.99)
3. Big Little Lies, Season One - Holy moly--this one is so bingeable. In fact, I binged this in one sitting starting at 7PM one night. No, I am not proud of this, but I did it nonetheless. This Reese Witherspoon adaptation of Liane Moriarty's book is bonkers. In a good way. The all-star cast (think: Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley, Nicole Kidman, Zoë Kravitz, Reese Witherspoon) brings a lot to this murder mystery set in a well-to-do town. It is a roller coaster, and it is so worth it. (The whole season is available for purchase on Amazon for $24.99. It is also available on HBO if you have a subscription. Pro-tip: Do a free trial and binge it.)
4. Fight Club -- Okay. It's time for a throwback. 1999 anyone? Fight Club, starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton, is truly one of the twistiest (in the best way) movies I have seen. Chuck Palahniuk's novel of the same name debuted in 1996 and the film has quickly become a cult favorite. If you like twisty, trippy movies, this one's for you. The premise is Pitt and Norton's characters create an underground fight club for men who are bored with their predictable, status quo lives. (Available to rent on Amazon (linked), YouTube, Vudu, Google Play, and iTunes from $3.99.)
5. Little Fires Everywhere -- Unabridged Podcast loves Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere. And now it has been adapted by Reese Witherspoon into a limited series for Hulu. Starring Witherspoon and Kerry Washington, this series follows the Richardson family and the mother and daughter who make a big impact on their lives. This one is excellently acted and filmed. As of publication, five episodes have been released. It is intense and engrossing--perfect for a binge. (Available on Hulu)
Interested in what else we're reading? Check out our Featured Books page.
Want to support Unabridged?
Check out our Merch Store!
Become a patron on Patreon.
Follow us @unabridgedpod on Instagram.
Like and follow our Facebook Page.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Check out our Teachers Pay Teachers store.
Follow us @unabridgedpod on Twitter.
Check us out on Podbean.
Please note that we a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.